I have published widely about the Olympics and risk, most dealing specifically with the management of risk. Some of these are behind paywalls, although pre-publication versions are available in some instances.
- Will Jennings. (2012). Olympic Risks. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Will Jennings and Martin Lodge. (2012). ‘The Olympic Games: coping with risks and crises at a mega-event’, in Ira Helsloot, Arjen Boin, Brian Jacobs and Louise K. Comfort (eds.) Mega-Crises: Understanding the Prospects, Nature, Characteristics and Effects of Cataclysmic Events. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Executive Politics, Risk and the Mega-Project Paradox’, in Martin Lodge and Kai Wegrich (eds.) Executive Politics in Times of Crises. London: Palgrave Macmillan. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings. (2010). ‘Governing the Games in an Age of Uncertainty: the Olympics and organisational responses to risk’, in Anthony Richards, Peter Fussey and Andrew Silke (eds.) Terrorism and the Olympics: Major Event Security and Lessons for the Future. London: Routledge, pp. 135-162. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings and Martin Lodge. (2010). ‘Critical Infrastructures, Resilience and Organisation of Mega-Projects: the Olympic Games’. In Bridget Hutter (ed.) Anticipating Risks and Organising Risk Regulation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 161-184. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings. (2013). ‘Governing the Games: High Politics, Risk and Mega-Events’. Forthcoming in a special issue of Political Studies Review.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Why Costs Over-Run: Risk, Optimism and Uncertainty in Budgeting for the London 2012 Olympics.’ Journal of Construction Management and Economics 30(6): 455-462. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings and Martin Lodge. (2011). ‘Governing Mega-Events: Tools of Security Risk Management for the London 2012 Olympic Games and FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany’, Government and Opposition 46(2): 192-222. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Olympic insecurity: how normal accidents, fantasy documents and cognitive biases lead to security failures’, paper presented as part of a workshop series for ‘Governance of Security and the Analysis of Risk for Sporting Mega-events: Security Planning for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games’ a research project led by the Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research (SCCJR) and the Scottish Institute of Policing Research (SIPR), Glasgow, September 21, 2012.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Mega-Events and Risk Colonization: Risk Management and the Olympics.’ LSE Centre for Analysis of Risk and Regulation Discussion Paper, No. 71. ff.1-27.
I have also written a number of shorter articles for research magazines, blogs and industry publications.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Designing the Olympics: the rise of risk management and standardisation.’ The Architects’ Journal.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘The Olympics as a Story of Risk Management.’ Harvard Business Review blog, 13 August 2012.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘The Politics of Olympic Risk’, The Monkey Cage political science blog, 9 August 2012.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Questions about G4S, the Government and Securing the Games’, NottsPolitics blog, 16 July 2012.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Why Olympic Costs Overrun’, LSE Politics & Policy blog, 25 July 2012.
- Will Jennings. (2012). ‘Risk and the Olympics: London 2012 as a ‘risk-based Games.’ Actuarial Post, May (13): pp. 12-15.
- Will Jennings. (2011). ‘Risk Management and the Games.’ Risk Management Professional quarterly magazine, Winter 2011.
- Will Jennings. (2011). ‘London 2012 and the Governance of Risk’, ESRC Society Now magazine, Spring 2011.
- Will Jennings. (2009). ‘London 2012 – A Risk-Based Olympics?’, Risk & Regulation, Vol. 18 (Winter): pp. 14-16.
- Will Jennings and Martin Lodge. (2009). ‘Coping with the Risks and Vulnerabilities of a Mega-event’, National Safety & Security and Crisis Management (Special issue of the magazine of the Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations, Netherlands, October 2009), pp. 34-36.
- Will Jennings. (2009). ‘Managing Olympic Risk’, article published as online content TH!NK magazine, November 2009. http://www.algorithmics.com/think
- Will Jennings. (2008). ‘London 2012: Olympic Risk, Risk Management, and Olymponomics’, John Liner Review 22(2): pp. 39-45. [pre-publication version]
- Will Jennings and Martin Lodge. (2008). ‘Security and Risk Management for Sporting Mega-Events’, Risk & Regulation, Vol. 16 (Winter): pp. 14-15.
- Will Jennings. (2006). ‘Running the Risk’, Public Service Review: Central Government, Vol. 12, (April). pp. 204-208.
- Will Jennings. (2005). ‘Running the Risk? London 2012 and the Risk Management of Everything Olympic’, Risk & Regulation, Vol. 10 (Winter). pp. 7-9.
From time to time I am interviewed about my research in the media and in practitioner magazines. For example:
- BBC1, London: Inside Out Special, interviewed about budget estimates for London 2012, broadcast 7.30pm, Friday, February 2, 2007.
- ITV, Tonight with Trevor McDonald, interviewed about the budgeting process and economic impact of London 2012, 8.00pm, Friday, July 16, 2007.
- Associated Press, interviewed about bidding for the 2016 Olympics and the global financial crisis, reprinted in more than 200 news outlets online worldwide (including the International Herald Tribune, Sports Illustrated, etc), February 13, 2009.
- BestWeek Europe (Al Slavin), April 2010 issue, ‘Risk Management Emerges as an Olympic Feat’, interviewed and quoted on Olympic risk planning (April 19, 2010: Issue 16).
- A.M. Best, 2010, ‘University of Manchester’s Will Jennings on Olympic Games Planning’, interview podcast on BestDay Insurance News, April 13, 2010.
- ‘Preparing for the worst: What are the risks involved with staging the 2012 Olympic games?’, Britain in 2012, ESRC magazine.
- NPR/KCRW, interviewed about the London 2012 Olympics live on ‘To the Point’ (syndicated nationwide in the US), July 3, 2012.
- Guardian Live Blog on the Olympics, quoted about Olympic security, July 12, 2012.
- BBC Radio Scotland, Drivetime, interviewed about the security crisis affecting the London 2012 Olympics, July 12, 2012.
- BBC Radio Solent, interviewed live about the security crisis affecting the London 2012 Olympics, July 12, 2012.
- Quoted in Press Association release (Alan Jones and Wesley Johnson) about failure of Olympic security contractors G4S, July 12, 2012.
- Will Jennings, ‘Questions about G4S, the Government and Securing the Games’, blog post for NottsPolitics blog.
- Will Jennings, ‘Why Olympic Costs Overrun’, blog post for LSE Politics & Policy, July 25, 2012.
- BBC World Service, interviewed about the economics of the Olympics on Business Daily, BBC World Service, August 7, 2012.
- Will Jennings, ‘The Politics of Olympic Risk’, blog post for The Monkey Cage political science blog, August 9, 2012.
Also see Olympics-related papers via my academia.edu profile.